We are sure you’ve got questions and we have tried to answer them below, however if you want to ask us anything else, please do, we are only too happy to answer.  Please phone us on 07 3257 3499 or email Student Services.

Entry Requirements
Course Materials
Contact Hours
  • What if I don't have any educational qualifications?

    If you are a mature age student (left school more than 5 years ago) you can apply based on your work/life skills and experience, your body of work and your interview.

    Is recognition of prior learning available?

    DCA is a RTO and maintains a commitment to recognise AQF qualifications and statements of attainment issued by other RTOs. DCA acknowledges the role of RPL and credit transfer.

    Credit Transfer

    Credit transfer is the assessment of any formal courses or subjects studied previously by the student in order to recognise training outcomes being offered by DCA.  These outcomes may be counted towards the formal study qualifications delivered by DCA.


    RPL is the assessment of a student’s non-formal and informal learning to determine the extent to which the student has achieved the required learning outcomes, competency outcomes, or standards for entry to, or completion of a qualification at DCA.

    DCA has assessment tools for RPL. Please contact Student Services for more information.

    Do I need an OP score to get into Design College Australia?

    No! Entry to all courses is via a personal interview and presentation of a body of works. Direct school leavers need to have a pass in year 12 english or english communication.  Mature age students (left school more than 5 years ago) will be assessed on their life experience, body of work and interview.

    What if I don’t have a folio of works?

    You don’t need a professional folio for your interview. You just need to bring along a selection of creative work you have done in the past. It can be photography, sketching, computer generated image, poetry or artwork. We are more interested in seeing how creatively you think than seeing polished finished work. However, if you do not have any work that you think suitable, you can always download our creative brief.

  • Do I need my own laptop?

    Yes.  All students enrolled in full-time or part-time courses need to have their own Mac laptop with access to the Adobe Creative Suite.

    You do not have to have your own laptop to enrol into one of our short courses.

    Do I need my own camera?

    If you are enrolled into a photography course you will need to have your own digital SLR camera.

    If you are enrolled into the graphic design course you will not need to have your own camera but will need to be able to access one for certain projects.

    Does it need to be Mac?

    Design College is all about meeting industry needs and the industry use Macs – so do we!

    What art supplies do I need?

    We recommend an art kit that contained the essentials to get you going in the course.  This kits costs about $200 can be bought from Oxlades or Eckersley.  You can also but pieces of the art kit individually.  Please contact Student Services for a copy of the art kit.

    You will also need to buy additional material through the course such as workbooks.

  • How many hours will I need to be at College?

    Full-time students will need to attend classes for approximately 20 hours per week (2.5 days).

    Part-time student will need to attend classes for approximately 7-8 hours per week.  Part-time classes are held on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6:00pm to 9:30pm.

    How much work will I need to do outside of class?

    This will depend on where you are in the course and what project you are working on at the time, however generally speaking for every hour your spend in class you can expect to do half of that again outside of class.  For example 2 hours in class will need 1 hour outside of class work.

    What part-time options are available?

    Part-time classes are held in both graphic design and photography.  Part-time classes run on Monday and Thursday nights from 6:00pm to 9:30pm.

  • Is VET Student Loans available?

    Yes, VET Student Loans is available for eligible students enrolled in our Advanced Diploma and Diploma courses. To find out if you are eligible for VET Student Loans go to Department of Education and Training.

    What is VET Student Loans?

    VET Student Loans commenced on 1 January 2017, replacing the VET FEE‑HELP scheme, which ceased on 31 December 2016. VET Student Loans assists eligible students undertaking certain VET courses of study (diploma, advanced diploma, graduate certificate and graduate diploma courses) with an approved VET provider, to pay for all or part of their tuition costs. Find out more about VET Student Loans at Department of Education and Training.

    Are there other payment options available?

    There are payment plans available for students who are not eligible to receive Vet Fee-Help.  Please contact Student Services for more information.

    Can I get Centrelink benefits?

    You can receive Centrelink benefits if you are enrolled into a full-time course and your meet Centrelink’s eligibility requirements.  You can find out more at Centrelink.

  • Will completing the Advanced Diploma get me into uni?

    Yes. You are able to use your Advanced Diploma to gain entry into University and gain recognition for prior learning.

Video shot by DCA student Nellie H.

Video shot by DCA Graduate Krystn Peacock.

Contact Design College Australia get in touch with our course advisor on 07 3505 6250 or [email protected]